Olympus µ 1040 is an extremely elegant performer. Measuring in at a depth of just 16.5mm at its thin end, it combines a 3x zoom (38-114mm) with features as Advanced Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology. The new Intelligent Auto mode can detect the five most commonly-used scenes and then automatically adjust camera settings including focus and exposure. A large (6.9cm/2.7”) HyperCrystal LCD helps users frame and review their shots. In addition to the camera’s internal memory, photos can be stored on xD-Picture Card or on microSD Card. The 10 Megapixel µ 1040 will hit stores from September 2008.
Its sleek, thin metal body really makes a statement and comes in a dazzling array of colours. These include Starry Silver, Midnight Black, Magma Red and Melon Yellow, with a sliding lens cover that enhances the µ 1040’s streamlined appearance. Rather than being cluttered with many buttons, a flat control panel serves to access most functions. This ensures easy navigation while simultaneously getting the hearts of minimal design enthusiasts racing.
New is the Intelligent Auto mode. It identifies the most commonly-used scenes and then applies the settings to subsequent photos. Advanced Face Detection Technology lets up to 16 faces be recognised by the camera. Matched with Shadow Adjustment Technology, which cleverly optimises shadowy areas in picture, you can be sure that your human subjects are always caught in the right light.
Thanks to Digital Image Stabilisation which boosts ISO values, crisp and sharp photos are assured – even in low-light situations.
Perfect Shot Preview lets adjustments to the image be shown on the LCD in real time. This makes it easy to choose the right settings to achieve the best effects. In cases where further assistance might be required, the in-camera help guide puts solutions at your fingertips. Users also have a choice of up to 39 languages for the camera menu. In addition to internal memory, pictures can be stored to xD Picture Card, or – thanks to a bundled attachment – to microSD Card. And to ensure easy handling of photos on a computer, the multifaceted Olympus Master software is also included.
The Olympus µ 1040 – main features:
• Miniature 3x optical zoom (38-114mm*) in super slim metal body (just 16.5mm at its thin end) to capture everything from great scenes to exciting close-ups
• 10 Megapixels to make poster-size prints
• The easy way to perfect images – Intelligent Auto mode detects the five most commonly used scenes and adjusts settings, focus and exposure automatically
• Advanced Face Detection of up to 16 persons for perfectly focused and exposed faces, plus correct exposure of other image areas
• 6.9cm/2.7″ HyperCrystal LCD for excellent previews even in brilliant sunlight
• Digital Image Stabilisation for less blur even in low light
• TruePic III image processor for faster image handling and higher image quality
• Liven up your memories with movie recording with sound (up to VGA resolution at 30 fps)
• xD-Picture Card and microSD Card compatible